"Philippe Lhoste" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Hmm, perhaps no, I believe we should avoid the <?xml version="1.0"...?>
> line because some browsers choke on it,

No, not browsers choke on that in an XML page.   Of course some people
misguidedly serve XML documents pretending it's not an XML document, and
those html browsers may have problems, but those people are just being
silly.

Not serving XHTML to HTML user agents is far and away your best option.
Stick with HTML 4.01 Strict.

Cheers,

Jim.