For anyone interested, below is my workaround, although I'd still like
to know why my first attempt failed.  Thanks..

var child = node.firstChild.firstChild;
var theID="";
var nodeArray = new Array();
var i = 0;
var myGeometryToAdd = '';
while (child != null) {
    if(child.nodeType==1){
    nodeArray[i] = child;
    i=i+1;
    }
    child = child.nextSibling;
}

for (x=0; x<i; x++) {
    theID = nodeArray[x].getAttributeNS(null,"id");
    myGeometryToAdd = document.getElementById(theID+"1");
    myGeometryToAdd.appendChild(nodeArray[x]);
}