Hi Liutcpeter,

liutcpeter wrote:
> We've been using Batik to create interactive visualization tools
> in Java. One issue we have is about Batik's memory footprint
> and that is may not scale. Specifically, the scenario we are worried
> about is when there are a large number of svg canvases (50-100) open
> each displaying a set of visual objects.

    That is a fairly large number.  I hope the graphics are fairly
simple?

> Although, only one or two canvases need to be visible at a given time,
> the users need to be able to quickly switch among the canvases.
> Clearly, we have to be smart about memory management.  So, first, I
> would like to know if there is any recommendation for how to optimize
> memory usage for batik in general.

    Nothing real specific, filters can use a bit of memory.  Aside from
the actual graphics probably the largest memory sink is the offscreen
buffer(s) for the Canvas.  In particular the canvas can be single or
double buffered.  You probably want single.

> In addition, I would like to know if there is any way
> to quickly free up memory for a canvas that has become hidden
> and be able to quickly switch back to it.

   Well this is really a question of how much you want to free up
vs how fast you want to switch back.  The first thing to get
rid of is the offscreen buffer (or anyway perhaps size the
window to 1x1).  Then you could dispose of the GVT rendering
tree rebuilding the rendering tree isn't that time consuming but
for complex text/strokes the first rendering can take some time.

    For static content you may have the option of just using the
JGVTComponent and dropping the SVG DOM tree.

    BTW you may find the Batik-Users list a little better source
for this sort of information.