I know I've seen a question like this posted before but I can't for the
life of me find it, so I hope you folks don't mind a repost.  I am
creating some static drawings manually (notepad) using SVG and to aid in
the process I am making heavy use of symbols, transformations, pre-defined
shapes, etc.  I was wondering if there were any tools out there that
could take such an SVG and for lack of a better term...'flatten' it. i.e.
take shapes and convert them to paths, take <use> tags and insert the
actual SVG, replace nested transforms with actual x,y coordinates, etc.
The end result would be a really ugly XML/SVG doc that renders to the
same content as the original, but is 10x the size and completely
unmanageable.  Why would I want such a beast?  Well I am thinking 2
things...
speed in rendering (I've heard that nested transforms can slow things
down a bit) and the ability to import into other applications that don't
fully understand SVG.  Any thoughts/insights would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Philip