Hi Jon,

this looks like a very interesting and promising project. It also
sounds very ambitious!

Are you building on existing OS projects (such as Mozilla/Firefox)
to build your reader or do you implement from scratch?

Do you have any details what SVG version you are targetting? Do you
plan to add scripting and animation support? I see that SMIL 2.0 is
targeted for the third major release.

at http://www.openreader.org/features-table.html I don't find any
hint on scripting support - is that deliberately omitted? In my
opinion scripting important is very important for e-books when it
comes to interactive elearning examples.

I can fully understand though, that you want to introduce SVG step
by step, going from static to dynamic. After all, it is a huge
specification and probably a lot of work to implement. When it comes
to a decision on whether to implement SMIL or Scripting I would
rather prefer scripting. Scripting is more important than SMIL to
build interactive applications and one could simulate many SMIL
constructs by scripting.

Thanks for any details,
Andreas