From: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Peter Schonefeld
Sent: 24 May 2005 15:16
To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [svg-developers] tone on this list, Re: A Secret SVG
underground Society?

i think it's good that people express whatever's on their mind. it's natural
that some of us we are frustrated at lack of movement in viewers (at the
desktop, not mobile)..this is how i keep my chin up (these are my happy
thoughts)...

ASV 3 is something i can continue to use today for intranet work, even
though it's difficult to use on the web because of distribution issues...

there's nothing quite as satisfying in web development as building dynamic
svg on the fly...

Will we find salvation in Firefox? nighly builds include SVG so this can
only be a good thing. I don't know anyone who hasn't been glad to switch to
Firefox from IE...

Opera, conqueror, Ronan's perl library, Steve's galactic pathways and many
others...I don't use these, but it's pretty cool that so many people in so
many projects are spending so much of their precious time working with faith
in SVG.

I do use a KDE desktop from time to time so v4 might open some
opportunities.

GoSVG looks super cool!

Mobile development is not my thing, perhaps only because i almost went mad
working three weeks at a 96 x 120 resolution on the plazmic engine that i
don't think it even exists anymore...but a lot of smart developers go for
the mobile scene...pda phones have been released in Japan so the display
size is getting bigger...

SVG and XAML are not mutually exclusive technologies...it's been said on
this list that if you know SVG then you know XAML.

While there is plently of uncertainly out there, we do have the knowledge
that SVG is a comprehensive and carefully developed grahpic specification
that shares all of the benefits of being a member of the XML family...i
think this means that any one organisation wanting to dominate with a single
closed alternative is not going to succeed in the long-term.

Well that's my rave. but one more thing, i suggest we cheer on the team
developing the 1.2 specification and let them know that we're here for the
long run...ready and willing to jump onto the next big full implemetation
that comes along.

As for the long term, the way i feel is that if i'm not using SVG to develop
GUIs in five years time then i won't be developing GUIs at all!!

NOW, my rave is really over!

Pete

---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses for your protection]