When I run the following test file in ASVG3 and Squiggle, the 'click
here' text is blue.  When I run it in Moz/SVG the 'click here' text
is red and there is an error in the JavaScript console indicating
getBBox() is generating an exception.

I know that getBBox() works in all 3 environments, because if you
click on the text the bbox is read and the returned x value is
displayed.

Which is functioning correctly, ASVG3 and Squiggle or Moz/SVG?

Is there a better solution than a timer hack to be able to use the
results of getBBox() during initialization in all three
environments?  I think that I've read about a problem like this, but
can't find that discussion.

----------------
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg' width="500" height="400"
onload="init(evt)">
<defs>
<script>
<![CDATA[
function init(evt)
{
  var svgDoc = evt.target.ownerDocument;
  var element = svgDoc.getElementById('t1');
  element.setAttribute('fill', 'red');
  var bbox = element.getBBox();
  element.setAttribute('fill', 'blue');
}
function onClick(evt)
{
  var element = evt.target;
  bbox = element.getBBox();
  element.firstChild.nodeValue = "bbox.x = " + bbox.x;
}
]]>
</script>
</defs>
<g onclick="onClick(evt)" fill="green" font-size="18">
  <text id="t1" x="20" y="100">click here</text>
</g>
</svg>