(I am a different "Jon" than the one who started this thread)

Mark's comment below about XHTML2 and the Sidewinder viewer are all
correct. However, I would add that the W3C has another standards effort in
process right now, the Compound Document Formats (CDF) Working Group, which
is working on the whole area of combining W3C markup languages
into  compound document formats.The first round of CDF is focused on
"compound documents by reference" with an industry focus on mobile devices,
particularly XHTML Mobile Profile, SVG-Tiny, CSS Mobile Profile, and
ECMAScript Mobile Profile, where we want to set a low bar for mobile
implementers to maximize the chance of strong interoperability on a short
timescale. The OBJECT tag is primary means for achieving "by reference". So
far, I am not aware of CDF discussions relative to XHTML2 either positively
or negatively. Certainly, XHTML2 should be discussed as CDF moves forward,
particularly when the topic of "compound documents by inclusion" (e.g.,
XHTML with inline SVG) gets addressed.

Jon Ferraiolo