--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Fettes"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> You can not trigger SMIL animations with JavaScript unfortunately.

Huh? Perhaps I don't understand the context in which this is written,
but when I want to cause an animateMotion element (for example) to
fire from my code, I manipulate the "begin" attribute, like this:

 element.setAttributeNS(null, "begin", "indefinite");
 element.beginElement();

That will cause the animation to execute. If you have an indefinite
repeat, and want the js code to stop the animation at some point,
merely reset the "begin" attribute to a different fixed value (like a
negative offset-value).

Thanks,
  --kirby