--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Arun Chakaravarthy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am implementing the Text rendering for SVG Tiny 1.2.
>
> now i am doing with "SVG Fonts".
>
> The text is rendered basically using the path element.
>
> But, when i want to change the font-weight, i have to internally
implement it by changing the stroke width of the path element.

Ugh. Yuck. Fooey. This is not a good approach. Outline fonts are not
intended to be stroked. They should be unstroked filled paths. There's
a lot of subtlety in font design and the different perception of bold
or normal weight fonts that will get wrecked by the stroke (as stroke
has unpredictable results at vertices, dependent on mitre treatment,
etc.).

Clearly, the preferred implementation is to actually follow CSS2/SVG
font selection rules to find the appropriate face for the requested
weight and other descriptors (whether this results in the use a single
face for all weights, or whether different faces are returned for each
style and weight of a family), as these will have been tailored to a
fontographer's exacting visual goals.

If the requested CSS font descriptors (including font-weight) cannot
be matched within a given family, the best match within the family
should be returned. If intelligent matching gives a better result with
an alternate or generic family, that could be used instead. I don't
think there are any circumstances that would warrant the behavior we
used to see in MS Office of "bolding" existing normal fonts by
stroking the outline.

If the designer is taking the trouble to specify a very exact face and
weight, they should also take the trouble to ensure that face is
available (via embedding or reference). If not, a generic family at a
standard weight should suffice.

Thanks,
  --kirby