Holger Will wrote:

> thank you very much for clearification, here is another question,
> somewhat related:
>
> the spec states:
>
> getCTM
>     Returns the transformation matrix from current user units (i.e.,
>     after application of the transform attribute, if any) to the
>     viewport coordinate system for the nearestViewportElement.
>
> so am i correct that getCTM includes the viewBox and
> currentTransform/Scale transformations,
> when the nearest viewPortElement is the document viewPort? and is
> getCTM  identical to getScreenCTM in that case ?

   No, the viewport is established by the x,y,width & height attributes
on the SVG element.  So it is after the application of the translate
due to x,y but before the transformation due to viewBox handling.
Since current scale/translate is outside of the SVG element
getCTM would never include it.

   I will say that:
        a) This definition is totally useless.  It would be very
            difficult to use the getCTM method correctly.
         b) The Mozilla team has lobbied the SVG WG to "change"
this definition (I personally am happy with the current state of
affairs as 'getCTM' is the only transform support function implemented
in ASV 3.0, it's implemented in a _totally_ non-conformat way of course,
it is essentially equivalent to: e.getTransformToElement(e.parent),
which is useful. The best thing is probably to just deprecate the
method - changing the definition is wrong).