XAML is the technology that hooks the XML to the "application" (aka
business object).

When you click on a anchor tag, do you have to write the code to open
the link?  Nope, the rendering engine knows what a click on an anchor
tag means.  This is why this is called declarative code and not
procedureal code.  The idea behind things like XAML is to abstract out
all the hard coding from the average person, so that an average person
(aka non-developer) can build applications without having to write
procedural code.  Think about how many people that can write HTML,
that have no clue how to write HTML objects.

As for where does the code sit with XAML, since it is a Windows Client
only thing, it sits on the client.  How do you distribute XAML apps,
well you can distribute them via a network (intra or internet), or
good old fashion installs.

One of the things you will start to see out of the MSFT folks is the
whole concept of compiling down declarative code to IL (see the new
XSLT engine in .Net 2.0 and XQuery in SQL Server 2005).

The problem with the SVG+SPARK comparison to Avalon and XAML is that
XAML is dependent on a VM (.Net), where SVG+SPARK does not have a
fully functional VM (Ecmascript is not a VM, or even a framework, it
is just a scripting language).  If you truly want an open source
competitor of XAML, you will need to build it on .Net, Java or Mono
(maybe there is another VM that I'm missing?)

Don