gh_urban schrieb:

> tottaly bemused by this
>
> I have looked at the many answers already on this group,
>
> hacked my code to exactly as some of the final answers
>
> still no joy, anybody see what's wrong with it?
>
> here's the code:
>
>       function aniBtn(){
>       //create a reference for the object that wants animating
>       var obj = document.getElementById('bt1');
>
>       //create a new 'animate' element
>       var a = document.createElement("animate");
>
>       //now set the attributes
>       a.setAttribute("id","anim2");
>       a.setAttribute("begin", "indefinite");
>       a.setAttribute("attributeName","width");
>       a.setAttribute("from","0");
>       a.setAttribute("to","80");
>       a.setAttribute("dur","1s");
>
>       // add the element to the
>       obj.appendChild(a);
>
>       //add onclick to the object to start the anim
>       //(and an alert() to see if it completes)
>       obj.setAttribute("onclick","document.getElementById
> ('anim2').beginElement();alert('should have recieved the
> beginElement');");
>       }

Hi

use addEventListener instead of setAttribute("onclick",...)
 so instead of:

obj.setAttribute("onclick","document.getElementById('anim2').beginElement();");
do this:
 obj.addEventListener("click",function
(){document.getElementById('anim2').beginElement();},false)

you could also just comment out  this line , and do
a.setAttribute("begin","click")
which has the same effect.

hth
Holger