--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Watt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why not loose the comments and use the self commenting constants?
>
> if (childNode.nodeType == childNode.ELEMENT_NODE) {
> }
> else if (childNode.nodeType == childNode.TEXT_NODE) {
> }

The W3C DOM would suggest to use e.g.
  childNode.nodeType == Node.ELEMENT_NODE
but while Mozilla exposes Node and Node.ELEMENT_NODE I don't think
that Adobe SVG viewer (3.x) for instance does that. Nor does IE for
instance when you script HTML. The latter is of course not relevant to
SVG scripting but for me it is easier to write DOM script in one way
that I think works in many different implementations instead of trying
to adapt to particular implementation. That is why I usually avoid
using e.g. Node.ELEMENT_NODE so far and have the number it represents
in the code.
What you suggest, childNode.ELEMENT_NODE, is not supported in Adobe
SVG viewer either. Nor in other DOM implementations I know, beside
Mozilla's DOM implementation.

But admittedly my script code in the post was not very portable when
it comes to DOM implementations in SVG viewers as it uses
childNodes[index] which the W3C DOM requires to be equivalent to
childNodes.item(index) for ECMAScript bindings but which unfortunately
Adobe SVG viewer 3.x does not implement.
So that stuff needs to be

var childNodes = someElement.childNodes;
for (var i = 0; i < childNodes.length; i++) {
var childNode = childNodes.item(i);

to be more portable code for an SVG group.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM