--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jeroen Vanattenhoven
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Another related question: there are 2 (?) ways of going through the
nodes:

> 1: childNodes[i]
> 2: childNodes.item(i)
>
> Is there one method we should use (why then?) or is that not important?

If you use JavaScript respectively ECMAScript to script the W3C DOM then
  childNodes[i]
and
  childNodes.item(i)
should be equivalent but unfortunately implementations in SVG viewers
like Adobe SVG viewer 3.x do not comply with that, there you need to use
  childNodes.item(i)
to access an item in the childNodes collection by its index.
Thus if you want to script SVG in a portable way then
  childNodes.item(i)
is the way to go, it works in more implementations.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM