On Friday, September 23, 2005, 1:26:57 AM, Mike wrote:

MCF> Chris Lilley wrote:

>>On Thursday, September 22, 2005, 11:30:40 PM, Mike wrote:

>>MCF> My hypothesis is that the AdobeSVG viewer is picking up some unexpected
>>MCF> feature/property and isn't able to deal with it, while the
>>MCF> Mozilla/KDE/Inkscape engines are slightly more robust in dealing with
>>MCF> that particular problem.  To test that I'm wondering if there is a tool
>>MCF> that is extremely anal about conformance that can be used to test
>>MCF> content.  Basically just something that will parse an SVG file and
>>MCF> complain about anything that could cause a problem on a browser.
>>
>>MCF> For reference, a failing file is here:
>>
>>MCF>   http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/adoberenderswhiteonwhite.svg
>>
>>You also have some attributes like object_name and object_counts on
>>path. Those attributes should be in their own namespace if they are put
>>on svg elements.
>>
>>cx="0.0" cy="0.0" on path??
>>

MCF> Okay, I have now defined a namespace for us (though not yet a DTD for
MCF> it),

A DDTD wouldn't help - combining DTDs for different name spaces is non
trivial hackery.

MCF>  and put the application specific attributes/annotations into that
MCF> namespace.  The cin:cx/cin:cy for the paths represents the center of the
MCF> icon for scaling/positioning purposes, they are used solely by the
MCF> script(s).  I've also switched the script language to ecmascript as
MCF> suggested previously.

MCF> Thanks for pointing out all of those problems.  Obviously I've been
MCF> playing too loose with the XML rules.

MCF> I've also prefixed the title attributes with xlink: and eliminated the
MCF> duplicate IDs that the icons were declaring.  With that, the W3C
MCF> validator here:

MCF>     http://validator.w3.org/

MCF> is reporting only 20 errors, all of which are "this attribute doesn't
MCF> exist" ones which appear to be something silly wrt the namespace
MCF> declarations (e.g. sodipodi attributes added by inkscape are among those
MCF> getting complaints), possibly just sodipodi not having a DTD published
MCF> either?.

Its that the DTD does not know about namespaces at all. Technically
namespace declarations are not even attributes. Its not incorrect to
have namespace declarations wherever they are needed.

MCF> However, I still seem to be breaking something, as Adobe SVG 6beta is
MCF> still displaying the content as white-on-white.  Newest version of the
MCF> failing file is here in case anyone wants to look at it:

MCF>     http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/adoberenderswhiteonwhite3.svg

thanks - still not clear why it does that.

I don't actually have ASV instaled right now - Firefox is at v1.5b1
using its internal renderer, Opera is at 8.5 with its internal renderer
and I have IE using the Corel 2.1 plugin. All of those, plus eSVG,
display the graphic in green and black.

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM