Hi Chuck,

I won't go over the arguments again as to why I think SVG is the wrong
language for this. If you are interested, an old post summarises some of the
debate, in "Loosely Couple Objects and Declarative Programming":

<http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/2004/11/loosely-coupled-objects-and.html>

The platform we are building does exactly what you describe, and in fact
there is even a thermometer widget in the current download of Sidewinder,
available from our site:

  <http://www.formsPlayer.com/>

(Other demos include a calculator with aqua buttons, digital clocks,
analogue clocks showing the time around the world, Wiki pictures of New York
tourist attractions overlaid onto Terraserver maps...you get the idea!)

However, the main reason I wanted to comment, is that we have also just
posted some screenshots of much more complex controls, made up in turn of
other controls:

  <http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/2005/11/platform-20.html>

For example, we show how easy it is to put together a 'Flickr strip'--a set
of images based on the same tag. This strip is made up of 'Flickr
thumbnails', which in turn comprise the actual Flickr image, overlaid with
an SVG analogue clock that shows the time the photo was taken. Moving the
mouse over the clock makes it larger.

This is all an amalgam of XHTML, XForms, SVG and XBL. It is *not* the same
as writing everything in some SVG widget library, or even a 'Flash library',
as seems to be the trend at the moment. It's far more powerful and flexible
than that. (For example, each embedded widget can make its own web service
requests via XForms, allowing it to get further information if needed. This
technique is used to retrieve Technorati information about the author of a
blog, whilst you are navigating.)

I hope that shows you what is possible, and that in fact the programming
model you described is entirely possible.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck
CEO