Hi Jeroen,

digital watermarks is one way to approach the problem.

Another way is to reduce the accuracy and non-graphical attributes in the
presentation.

If you generate SVGs out of spatial databases you can "filter" your data to
reduce the accuracy (reduce the number of vertices). Each time the user zooms
or pans he'll just get a customized view of the data which is never at full
resolution.

To illustrate what I mean, you can have a look at the Yosemite Mapping Project:
http://www.carto.net/williams/yosemite/ - the content is always customized to
the map extent and the user never sees the full-res data.

Also, you don't have to add all important non-graphical attributes of the
original GIS data when you generate the SVG, f.e. you don't have to add
topological information or non-graphical attributes you don't need for the
display.

The value of GIS data is not only in the graphics, but in the information as a
whole.

Andreas

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jeroen Vanattenhoven <jeroen.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM