I implemented your recommendation, and something that did not occur to
me initially is that all the svg graphics are in front.  Like you said,
not very elegant, but at least the user knows something is happening.
If anyone has other ideas, I'm all ears...or maybe eyes.  Thanks.

Sean

http://us.click.yahoo.com/I258zB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM