>       Perhaps because of Sax, Xerces, Xalan, JDom, SOAP, MSXML, XSLT,
> XPath ....  or perhaps simply because I can read the file and grab what I
> want/need?

        More specifically, because you can use the tools you ALREADY KNOW...

        There are similar tools for many of those things for other formats -
you just don't know about them ;).

>       I am myself wondering whether it makes that much difference how
> something becomes a standard w3c, ANSI, ISO, or common use, just as long
> as I can read it, process it, and hand it down stream.

        Agreed.

> XML helps in the
> reading/processing and open standards help in the passing downstream.

        Yes and no.

        I've seen XML grammars that are more complicated than the
alternative, thus making it harder to read/process...

>       .pdf .shp .swf .dxf are published formats but hard to read/process

        For whom?  Using what tools?

Leonard

http://us.click.yahoo.com/I258zB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM