Hey Randy,
I missed this post earlier. A few months ago I would probably have
not fully understood your comments. But these times are so
interesing and dynamic for SVG, that now I am more than hopeful,
actually convinced, that you hit the nail straight on its head.

Regards,
Francis

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Randy George"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

>             I'm catching up on all the svg postings and a bit
surprised at
> the viability concerns.
>

> In the larger picture the obvious trend is toward open standards.
Corporate
> enterprise has suddenly discovered open source and open source
thrives on
> open standards. The first generation of standalone software has
reached its
> peak and now the next generation of internet services is just
beginning to
> take off, enabled in large part by XML.
>

> First generation software companies like Microsoft, Adobe, Oracle,
Autodesk.
> are rightly concerned about next generation trends but are locked
into a
> balancing act with older revenue models. In the short term the
first
> generation is still struggling for dominance among themselves, but
in the
> long term they surely see the real question is how to survive the
transition
> into a fully connected world where revenue models look more like
Google than
> boxed software and annual per seat licensing. Software as web
service is the
> rising tide, Open Source is the long term competitor, and the
standards that
> give open source a foot in the door also appear threatening.
>

> It is interesting to remember how a company like IBM completely
renovated
> itself by emphasizing its intellectual capital and embracing
service
> solutions instead of product. First generation software companies
are all
> facing a similar dilemma and realize that long term survival will
depend on
> some kind of remake revolving around a fully connected world
economy.
> Control is already slipping out of their hands only moments after
they
> achieved dominance in the previous generation. It remains to be
seen which
> are paranoid enough to be major players in 10 years, but the
bottom line is
> that survivors will be forced into the open standards world they
currently
> find threatening.
>

> Adobe hires smart people, they know that MS Xaml/Metro is their
immediate
> threat, but I'm sure they are also wondering how to reconcile
flash/pdf with
> svg/fo. In the end they have to know XML wins, so there is little
incentive
> to abandon svg, though they may be tempted to adapt it ala Xaml.
Any which
> way XML makes it an open world from a developer's point of view.
>

> The adoption of svg-t in the mobile arena, the release of native
svg in
> Firefox and Opera all indicate the health of open XML standards.
The pent up

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM