Hi,

I'm new to SVG (and not very experienced with Javascript, either) and
I've run into a problem trying to integrate my SVG drawing tools into
my ASP.NET project.

I'm working on a mapping application. The maps are generated using a
third party tool that creates jpg images. The third party tool is
contacted and the image URLs are sent to my app using a .NET dll.

My SVG drawing tools use the map as a canvas, so I need the image in
the SVG file.

When the users make changes to the map, a new jpg is generated and I
need to update the reference and refresh the image.

I can do this in JavaScript, but I can't reference the Javascript
function from my app without using a button. I need this to be done
transparently -- I can't require the users to click a button every
time they make a change.

Today I tried putting the SVG in an aspx file and generating the SVG
on the fly. This worked great, and then it just stopped working -- I
have no idea why.

I have an web page file that contains an embed tag:

<embed id="embedImage" height="400" width="400"
pluginspace="http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/";
type="image/svg+xml" runat=server></embed>

In the code behind of that page, I have this code:

strURL = "DefaultMap.jpg"
embedImage.Attributes("src")
= "http://localhost/svgtest/ImageSVGNew.aspx?url="; & strURL

(My plan was to create a little function that accepted the URL and
passed it to the src attribute of the embed tag

The SVG aspx file contains the following:

<%@ Page Language="vb" %>
<%
dim strResponse as string
strResponse = "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='no'?>"
strResponse = strResponse & "<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD SVG
1.0//EN' 'http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd'>"
strResponse = strResponse & "<svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg'
xmlns:xlink='http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink' width='400' height='400'>"
strResponse = strResponse & "<svg>"
strResponse = strResponse & "<image id='imgMap' xlink:href='" &
Request("url") & "'  x='0' y='0' width='100%' height='100%' />"
strResponse = strResponse & "</svg>"
response.write(strResponse)
%>

I'm guessing that the problem has to do with the order that things
are processed and rendered. I don't understand, though, why that
order would change?

Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Can anyone think of a better
way to do this?

Thanks,

Chris

Most low income homes are not online. Make a difference this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5UeCyC/BWHMAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM