I think, yet to emerge technologies/inventions and market would force
them to rethink about SVG. They have lot riding on Flash and PDF and
cannot afford to loose out. Hence will be forced to make tough
choices. Although Flash is good technology, it has some fundamental
limitations. They need an XML based technology, which is MXML/Flex.
But, it would be hard for the MXML to compete with Microsoft's MAXL
or FireFox's XUL/SVG, with out graphics primitives.

I appreciate if any one can answer this: Does MXML/Flex support
primitive XML-graphics instructions, for example, line, rect and
circle etc?

For example, third party developers (or even custom/in-house
application developers) need primitive support to build components
and business around their technology. Half-baked solutions never
stayed in the market for long term. MXML is half-baked. May be Adobe
people reading it, I appreciate, if they could counter this?

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey Swenson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Your post on this just sounds like you hope that Adobe will see the
need to
> restart work on SVG, but in some way confirms that they have set it
aside at
> the moment.
>
> I certainly didn't find the wishy-washy statements by the Adobe
people here
> to be very encouraging at all. And the long-in-the-tooth 2.5 year-
old beta
> also speaks volumes about where this is headed.
>
> My take on it is that the app I have just written will probably
have to be
> modified later to use XAML or whatever actually becomes the
standard. It
> looks like there are a lot of contenders for this sort of
functionality, and
> SVG is only one of them.
>
> Geoffrey J. Swenson
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Behalf Of
> paul_willson8
> Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 3:47 AM
> To: gee_whiz_bang
> Subject: Re: Is Adobe abandoning SVG?
>
> I think, new technologies emerge next year likely force
> Adobe/Macromedia to support the SVG in some form. If they don't,
they
> would loose substantially or driven out from many web related
product
> segments.
>
> For example they may support SVG in MXML/Flex to draw primitive
> graphics elements. This may be akin to the way SVG is supported in
> Mozilla. I am bit new to MAXML/Flex, but my understanding is that
> they don't support primitive XML-statements. Of course, they may
have
> Action-script-API, but that in not the same.
>
> They will be forced to support SVG, to counter fully functional
XAML
> and inline-SVG enabled FireFox. Otherwise, they would loose many
> third party  component-vendors, and eventually application
developers.

> I strongly believe, this would happen, because, I know few things,
> such as, stealthy technologies that would help developers build
> complex GUI applications than ever possible on Windows or
Java/Swing

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM