--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey Swenson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> They were obsessively object oriented

Agree. Pragmatic programming can produce more efficient and usable
products, but object oriented is supposed to be closer to AI, which
is true...

> I have a rather nice way to do text wrapping, that I will post up
> here

See http://www.dotuscomus.com/svg/lib/library.html#textformat
it uses the algorythm you are referring to.

Domenico

> I do like the idea of multiple vendors, but I remain agnostic (and
sometimes
> a bit leery) of Open Source. I'll use it if it works and it is
properly
> documented. I won't use it when it doesn't work and/or is poorly
documented.
> I would rather pay $500 for SQL Server and its easy-to-use
interfaces than
> try to figure out how to use PostgresSQL for free. Most of the
time, my
> clients/employers are paying anyway, so I don't care if it is Open
Sourced
> or not. I just want it to work and to be reasonably popular, so
that any
> skills learned are transferable when the job is done.
>

> SVG is very easy to use. The documentation could be way better
though, but I
> do really, really appreciate the work of so many people here and
on other
> sites that have provided some very good examples on how to do
things.

> I have a rather nice way to do text wrapping, that I will post up
here
> tomorrow and make my own contribution. I couldn't make heads or
tails of
> other implementations I saw elsewhere. They were obsessively
object oriented
> in my opinion. Mine uses some objects, but in a much simpler way.
They were
> under the viral GNU license, which my client wouldn't like. So my
code will
> be shared completely openly, not under any license at all.
>

> My code also attempts to do the text fitting efficiently,
detecting the
> average character length and making a good first guess on the text
size. As
> a result, on text with about 150 lines per graphic, only 34
attempts were
> too long, and about 5 too short for the whole page.  I suspect
that about
> half of the redos were repeats on the same line (perhaps with lots
of m's or
> uppercase), so about 85% of the first tries were spot on. I'd
share it right
> now, but it I'm not at work right now.
>

> Geoffrey J. Swenson
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of Francis Hemsher
> Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 7:52 PM
> To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [svg-developers] Developers Strike for Open Source! - was
(Is Adobe
> abandoning SVG?)
>

> I think at, this time, open-source can rule the future. It seems
to me
> that developers have invested millions upon millions of
frustrating
> hours in attempting to make their stuff work in many bizarre
> envrionments. Let's take some time, and quit this silliness, and
go on
> strike.  A simple statement can be made by developers that they
only
> work on open-source projects; just a strike for only for 90 days,
> please...you won't loose your house or wife under this short
term:)

> But, you will most assuredly get the attention of both media and
big
> guys.  The time is pregnant for this opportunity.
>
> Fancis
>

> -----
> To unsubscribe send a message to: svg-developers-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -or-
my
> membership"
> ----
>

>   _____
>
> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>

> *      Visit your group "svg-developers
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers> " on the web.
>
> *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
subject=Unsubscribe>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM