At 07:36 AM 12/16/2005, Andrew Watt wrote:

>What does SVG need? Others are better placed than I currently am to make
>specific suggestions. I think one of the crucial things is a
>design/development
>tool that makes creating SVG easier for designers/programmers.
>That's where  I
>see Microsoft as having a particularly strong tool in Sparkle - it gives a
>design environment that allows designing and programming to work
>synergistically. To the best of my knowledge SVG hasn't had such a
>tool. In my  opinion it
>needs one. 99% (at a guess) of the people who could  develop/design with SVG
>won't have the time to hand code.

Funny, last night I started writing something similar on this subject
(going so far to requote a part of Domenico Strazzullo's wonderful
ramble about "why SVG?"  (Dec. 8th ).  Rereading what I wrote, I
realize I was far too eloquent for my own good, so I will summarize:
what SVG needs is a "killer app." Something that runs in the browser
(so everybody can use it without any download), is very GUI,
generates SVG with SMIL and or JavaScript  as output, has good coding
and markup support under the hood, and takes the concept of the
user-interface and ease-of-use a bit further than the now 20-year old
user-interfaces associated with the Adobe/Macromedia/Microsoft/etc
product lines. It should allow drop in data-spigots (which can fuel
individual objects), gradient and texture designers (including
fractal generators), filter feedback networks, and should use
mouse-event streams (perhaps with chording) to choreograph events
(instead of story boards) , magnetic deformers (with multiple flavors
of magnetism), web awareness, lexical and semantic parsing (with
thesauri), concurrent multiple authorship, etc.   That oughta ensure
SVG's vitality and preserve human dignity at the same time. Maybe the
UN would foot the bill?

DD

http://us.click.yahoo.com/u8TY5A/tzNLAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM