Ronan,

Maybe you are a little too hard on Francis. Anyway, this is my
version (one of possible):

Marvin,

Excuse me for interfering, but I need to say that I'm amazed to see
once more that a business model is often used as the ultimate
panacea to address any kind of question. I think Francis is very
aware of the business model but his point is to question a possibly
abusive behavior.

I'm afraid that the simple fact of invoking the business model is
considered enough to explain and legitimize any kind of behavior
under all aspects (eg. social, ethical, etc.). This often chokes
many arguments and discussions that could be very interesting to let
develop.

> I'm not sure I understand what Adobe, Macromedia or Microsoft has
> done that is against the law.

You'd be surprised to see how far the law can go in pursuing civil
code behavioral anomalies. You probably know very well that the main
obstacle to progress in justice is the lack of jurisprudence. Once
set by a case it generally leads to a tide of similar suits.

In short, I think you know very well what Francis is trying to say.
The fact that that is a current business practice doesn't make it
candid. And doesn't mean that it should be like that forever. It's
like the music Majors against Napster, remember? Those blue
(painted) blooded, because they made billions for decades abusing
the consumers, and often the artists, thought that it was a divine
blessing and that should last forever against the will of the young
population (youth rules!). OK, they found some parades and
turnarounds, but there will be other waves of shock. I mean, we have
a huge problem, the idea of retailing has superseded the idea of
producing. No sufficient investment in creative production by the
retailers. If we call business model just selling as much as you can
using any kind of trick, that sounds pretty poor.

This, not to say that what you, or Ronan, are saying is false. It is
true.

> Or are you simply saying that you believe those companies have some
> kind of obligation to adopt and/or promote SVG in a particular way?
> If so, why?

I shouldn't answer to this, but here it is anyway:
YES.
Because of many valid arguments that I hope others will advance (eg.
IBM business model as from a recent post), 'cause I'm on vacation
for 15 days starting... now! Shame, because I would like to develop.

Happy holidays to all.

Domenico

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Ronan Oger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Francis,
>
> Before going too far out on a limb and running off your mouth
about what the
> W3C should or should not do, you might want to read up on what the
W3C is.

> The W3C is not a public organization set up for the general good
of society.
> Far from it.  It is a membership-based club for promoting
technologies that
> benefit the club participants. Within the W3C, competing groups
fight to get
> their ideas in and to keep competing ideas out.
>
> Instead of ranting into the wind about open-source development and
complaining
> about the free work others should do to help you earn money (ASV
is free, and
> you seem to be benefiting commercially from this, no?), maybe you
should
> consider one or more of the following options:
>
> 1) stop complaining, and work with the free tools provided to you
find them,
> taking responsibility for your own strategic errors in
technological
> dependency choices
>
> 2) join the W3C and try to change the future of SVG to your
advantage

> 3) pay someone to build you an SVG browser that *you* can offer
free to the
> public domain. I'm sure you can get this done for 1/2 million Euro
or less.

> 4) move on to another technology. Maybe start using Java applets,
Flash, pdf,
> or bitmap animations to show your data. Hey, you could even simply
send it by
> fax and forego both the W3C *and* ICANN.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ronan
>
> On Saturday 17 December 2005 04:35, Francis Hemsher wrote:
> > Hi Sherm,
> >  I guess you sent this as a statement from Adobe as a positive
> >  indication of their continuing support of SVG.
> >
> >  The following quote from below "to meet the needs of customers
and
> >  partners" tells me as, an open-source developer, to expect
diddly
> >  from Adobe in the true future of SVG.
> >
> >  In my opinion, they have every incentive to undermine SVG's
success.
> >  Along with XAML the Camel, they used W3C to first establish the
> >  basis for their products, and then abandonded support of both
XML

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia_faq.h
> >  tm
> >
> >  > l
> >  >
> >  > How does Adobe's acquisition of Macromedia affect Adobe's
support

> >  of
> >
> >  > SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics)?
> >  >
> >  > Both Adobe and Macromedia have been part of the W3C working
group

> >  that
> >
> >  > defined the SVG-t specification. While Flash and Flash Lite
have
> >  > gained critical momentum with customers and partners
worldwide,
> >  > particularly in the fast-growing mobile market, we recognize
that

> >  both
> >
> >  > SVG and Flash have had success globally. As a result, Adobe
will
> >  > continue to support the display of popular graphics standards,
> >  > including SVG-t and Flash, to meet the needs of customers and
> >
> >  partners
> >
> >  > worldwide.
> >
> >  -----
> >  To unsubscribe send a message to:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] -or-
> >  visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers and
click "edit my
> > membership" ----

> > Computer internet security   Computer internet business
Computer internet
> > access Computer internet privacy securities   Computer internet
help   How
> > to format a computer hard drive
> >

> > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >

> >  Visit your group "svg-developers" on the web.
> >
> >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/9QUssC/lzNLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM