--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "run2bmi21"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm interested in
> creating a huge static picture (a graph) of a client-server universe
> that contains about 1,500 vertices and about 5,000 edges, with none of
> the vertices hiding or overlapping each other

The most common tool for creating non-overlapping hierarchical
directed graphs is graphviz, which can create SVG output, as well as
graphfiles:

http://www.graphviz.org/

Graphviz is in C; depending on your server software language, there is
also a Java binding at:

http://www.loria.fr/~szathmar/off/projects/java/GraphVizAPI/index.php

I think you could use graphviz's concept of subgraphs to group your
addresses by network. I'm not sure about guaranteeing strict ordering,
though.

Thanks,
  --kirby