--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "goran_pusic"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why should we choose SVG over Flash or Java?
>
> Our considerations:
>
> 1. learning curve (we have minimum experience in Flash/Java, 0 SVG),
> 2. existing widgets (gauges, charts...)
> 3. server load (I see SVG files are huge compared to, example, *.swf;
> is there some form of "include" mechanics?)
> 4. Browser support (how well can we animate in FFox/Adobe SVG viewer?
> When will IE7 come out? Does Safari do SVG?)
> 5. ... (I may more know tomorrow :-( )

1.  SVG is simple.  DOM is simple.  There is tons of documentation out
there.  There is a SVG wiki (http://wiki.svg.org/Main_Page).  It's
open source.  Helpful user groups.  Lots of examples.
2.  There are existing widgets though you'd really have to develop
your own with SVG.  However, creating them is fairly simple. (self
plug: http://spark.sourceforge.net).
3.  I would really reject this consideration point.  Either/or -
you're not talking about much space or much bandwidth.  If you're
worried about time it'll be more restricted by the rendering time, not
by the load time.
4.  SVG is getting better support all the time.  It's native in FF,
getting better support in Opera and Safari.  However, none compete for
a scripting environment to the Adobe SVG Viewer which of course has
had no significant updates since 2001.

However, to play the devils advocate, the Flash viewer is much better
than any SVG viewer out there.  They control their format and they
actively develop it.  SVG to HTML interaction isn't the easiest thing
in the world but it can be done.

Using SVG would enable you to create a very nice, clean XML based
solution.  SVG would enable you to be more creative with your widgets
and skinning and such.  Java would just be a pain imho.  Over
engineering.  Though, it depends on what your goals are.  Remember
that if you choose SVG+AJAX then your client side code is visible and
open source.

Anyways, i'm just rambling.  Hopefully a more informed and intelligent
person replies as well. :)

Alastair