On Monday 23 January 2006 09:05, Petronel Laviniu MALUTAN - Talente.ro wrote:
>     Does anyone know / has a GPS device which can be easily attached to a
> laptop in order to be able to measure / input coordinates of the roads with
> PHP ? The Php programm or C++ one I will write it by myself (hopefully) if
> they are giving some small instructions.
>
> Thank you
>         ***** Petronel *****

Petronel,

There are dozens of solutions to this. However, none of them are *trivial*.

I did this last year for a toy demo of google maps that I wrote that showed
you where you are on google maps using your GPS.
Generally, here is what I did:

1/ used a GPS that generates NMEA 0183 data output to a serial port connected
to a PC
2/ (I used Perl) wrote a program that reads from that serial port and parses
the NMEA strings for lat/lon data.
3/ wrote a webservice that publishes lat/lon position in XML on http requests
from a browser client.
4/ wrote a web page that:
4.1/ queries the URL in (3) above and parses the lat/lon data using ecmascript
on a timer or event
4.2/ centers google maps on the x/y position provided by 4.1

Presto.

Key points: the script retrieving the gps data lives on the PC where the gps
is. ecmascript security prevents you from accessing local files and remote
files at the same time. If you want to go to a remote URL and ask it to show
you where your GPS says you are, you need to make the GPS-reading script post
your position to a remote host. This is fairly easy to do with a daemon if
you understand how the internet works. Or you can pay someone to do it for
you if you dont understand the net.

Best of luck,

Ronan

--