> 1.  How can a "tool" be a competitor to SVG when SVG is a language
> format, not a tool?

A: Its XAML with an IDE for GUI building.  What does SVG have?

> 2.  If Sparkle is a great tool that produces output in an XML language
> such as XAML, what is to stop designers from using it as a tool and
> then simply translating the output to SVG?

Well, thats easy enough.  The vector graphic part is easy enough with
an XSLT to change Circle to circle (lol), but as far as the windowing
components go what do you have to go to?  SPARK (not sparkle) *could*
work, but this is no where near a complete windowing set.

Let me illustrate my answer:

Sample XAML Document 1:
-----------------------
(from
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnintlong/html/longhornch03.asp>)

<Canvas xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/xaml"; >
  <Rectangle
    Fill="#33CC66"
    Width="2in"       Height="1in"
    Canvas.Top="25"          Canvas.Left="50"
    StrokeThickness="6px" Stroke="Orange" />
  <Ellipse
    Fill="yellow"
    CenterX="1.5in"    CenterY="1.1in"
    RadiusX=".5in"     RadiusY="1in"
    StrokeThickness="4px"  Stroke="Blue" />
   <Text
    Canvas.Top="50" Canvas.Left="60" Foreground="#000000"
    FontWeight="Bold" FontFamily="Arial"
    FontStyle="Normal" FontSize="25">Hello Shapes!</Text>
</Canvas>

Ok, that's easy enough to transform from XAML to SVG.

Sample XAML Document 2:
-----------------------
(from same location as above)

<Border
       xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/xaml";
       xmlns:animC="animC"
       xmlns:animF="animF"
       xmlns:def="Definition"
       Background="BlanchedAlmond">
  <Canvas Height="400" Width="400">
     <TransformDecorator Canvas.Top="200" Canvas.Left="100">
       <TransformDecorator.Transform>
         <TransformCollection>
           <RotateTransform Angle="135">
              <RotateTransform.AngleAnimations>
                 <animC:DoubleAnimationCollection>
                    <animC:DoubleAnimation From="0" To="360" Duration="4"
                       AutoReverse="True"
                       RepeatDuration="Indefinite"/>
                 </animC:DoubleAnimationCollection>

              </RotateTransform.AngleAnimations>

           </RotateTransform>
         </TransformCollection>
        </TransformDecorator.Transform>

        <ListBox >
          <ListItem> ListItem 1 </ListItem>
          <ListItem> ListItem 2 </ListItem>
          <ListItem> ListItem 3 </ListItem>
        </ListBox>
     </TransformDecorator>

     <Button Width="40" Canvas.Top="10" Canvas.Left="10">
       <Button.Width>
         <animF:LengthAnimationCollection>
           <animF:LengthAnimation From="40" To="300"
             AutoReverse="true" Begin="1" Duration="1.2"
             RepeatDuration="Indefinite"/>
         </animF:LengthAnimationCollection>
       </Button.Width>
       Button
     </Button>

  </Canvas>
</Border>

ooo, not quite so easy (unless all of a sudden people start helping me
with SPARK! :P).

Alastair

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "dr_marvin_marshall"