On Wednesday 01 February 2006 12:59, Bru, Pierre wrote:
> > I fail to understand why you would want to build a plugin
> > from scratch for SVG when instead you could contribute to
> > Mozilla's SVG team, or Konqueror's SVG team, which are open
> > source, and help those implementation get better.
>
> does FF1.5/Mozilla/Konqueror implementation allows to draw SVG on a
> transparent background to overlap an existing zone, for exemple to draw
> a route on a map, as do Google on Gmap with MS private vector language?
>
> Pierre.

I believe so. I asked this question last month to this list, and got a
positive answer. Anyways, one thing is certain: what Google Maps does with
VML and transparent images on top of a tiled set of raster images,people
routinely do with SVG in the webmapping context. Check carto.net for numerous
examples of this...

Anyways, here is a trivial example of dynamic overlays over maps (clunky and
rough, but I hope you get the point that this already can be done... All the
data points are delivered real-time from an external server.

http://www.roitsystems.com/SVG-Widgets/navigation/ShipAutomation.svg

It's kind of clunky, and the underlying image is statically located, but that
is simply because I spent 3 days on this demo...

And it works on any implementation that supports script access to the DOM or
to the uDOM, and xmlhttprequest or GetURL.

The key point I am attempting to make is that the community would be better
served by interested developers supporting and extending existing SVG
implementations rather than by going out on and starting Yet Another
Implementation...

Ask any SVG browser developer, and you will get the same answer: it's not that
simple. The trivial stuff like static SVG is fine, but that's not enough, and
is not SVG1.2 or SVGT1.2 compliant, so static implementations are really of
no interest to anyone. And anyways, there are too many static SVG
implementations to list.

It took Mozilla 3 years toget to where they are today, and anyone who thinks
they can do better from scratch is kidding themeselves. There are plenty of
existing solutions out there... let's help the developers working on those
implementations rather than making their task even harder by competing
against them.

Finally, if you want a feature you can't find in your favorite opensource SVG
implementation, why not request a feature and get some people together to
fund the work? A little financial sponsorship goes a long way in open
source...

Ronan

--
Ronan Oger