> In following page the English letter A is in a
> rectangle.  I need to replace it with  another
> letter, such as B or C, and switch back and forth.
> Further, I need to have more than two letters to
> switch back and forth in the rectangle.
>
> http://www.pinyinology.com/svg/letter.svg
>
> Wondering whether such an effect can be achieved
> with svg.

Yes.  There are several ways to do it, depending on
your requirements and the capabilitites of the browser
you are using.  For example, if you are using a
browser that supports SMIL (animation), you can have
the SVG just display a series of characters.  You can
also make it start displaying the characters when the
user clicks on the rectangle or moves the mouse over
the rectangle.  You could get that to work with SMIL
or Javascript.