Dave schrieb:

> Just started playing with SVG at work.  I'm trying to determine what
> kinds of problems it might be able to solve for us.
>
> First thing, what do people most commonly use for SVG development?
> I've started using the adobe plugin for IE but I've also played with
> firefox 1.5.

im using scite ( http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html ) for most of my
scripting, and inkscape ( http://www.inkscape.org/ ) if i need more
complex shapes
im using firfox as my main browser, but i try to make my SVGs work in
most of the available viewers (Opera , Firefox , ASV and Batik / i cant
test safari :-(  )

> So far it seems that the adobe plugin is far more functional than
> firefox.  Is that what others have found?

that depends on what you need SVG for, though ASV supports filters and
animation which Firefox doesnt (yet), it is lacking in scripting and
styling.
beside that there is no SMIL, Batik is the most advanced viewer of all.

> If that's the case, can you
> use the adobe pluging in firefox even though native support for SVG is
> already there?
>
> Given that, ultimately, my SVG needs to display in browsers, is there
> a better plugin I should be looking at?

try to use only features that work in all implementations, if you
possibly can.

> On a more technical note.  I've had trouble finding out how big the
> viewable area is for an SVG document.  If I'm scripting an SVG
> document and I want to put a new shape on the screen but I want to
> make sure it's viewable how can I know how much space I have to work with?
>
> I suppose I could always pop the item in at 0,0 but I'd like to be
> more intelligent than that.

remember you need to take a few transformations into account. like the
viewBox, preserveAspectRatio, currentTranslate/Scale and possible other
transform Attributes.
i have written a little function, which Jeff Schiller and others have
optimized, that turnes window coordinates into document coordinates.
see the getScreenCTM function here:
http://www.codedread.com/dragsvg.js

cheers
Holger

--
if this information was usefull, please try to help someone else !
http://www.treebuilder.de