Francis Hemsher wrote:
> IE7 Beta 2 Preview(3/20/2006) does not initially focus on the events
> contained within an SVG document included in an embed.
> It provides its own statement, via an onMouseOver popup display: "click
> to activate and use this control".

That is true. It is not just SVG, but any browser extension which has
its OBJECT, EMBED, or APPLET tags contained within the hosting HTML
page. Much more info on user experience and development strategies here:
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent

 > I've made MS aware of the above. If anyone else is looking at
 > IE7, the EMBED and SVG, you should run it and let them know
 > of your needs.

They already know, believe me, they already know.... ;-)

The new behavior also occurs in users of the regular IE6 who have found
the list of download options in Windows Update and chosen to install the
similar change for IE6. I expect that, in absence of further legal news,
that this browser change will be mainlined into a future IE6 update.
Other browsers are also vulnerable to the same legal concerns, although
I have not heard of any patent news against other browsermakers...
Microsoft has the biggest pockets, and was first to be approached.

What to do? The easiest seems to be to use an external .JS file to
dynamically write your OBJECT, EMBED or APPLET tags into the page.
Examples are at the above Macromedia Active Content Center.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd