hi,
> I don't know if you have taken a look at <http://www.carto.net/>. There are
> lots
> of GIS SVG tutorials and sample projects available. The code they used
> is also open-source (correct me if I'm wrong). You can go a long way with the
> tutorials written
> there.

definitely true, these is all free educational material. according to
local laws and mentions in some files like andreas neumann's map
interfaces, only the graphical layout is copyrighted. this also apply
for all photographs.

andré

andre m. winter,
  cartography for internet and multimedia applications
  schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
  tel.: ++43.5234.32732
  email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

        new svg book with actual scripting samples out now!
             check    <http://svg.carto.net/>