yes,

the SVGSVGElement has two methods:

SVGSVGElement.checkIntersection( element, rect )
and
SVGSVGElement.getIntersectionList( rect, referenceElement )

the first method returns a boolean, the second method returns a nodeList

see more at http://phrogz.net/ObjJob/search.asp?langID=1&q=intersect or in the
SVG
spec.

The problem is that currently (correct me if I am wrong) only Batik implements
these
methods.

For the other viewers that don't support these methods you would have to test
it yourself
using javascript. You would first test the boundingboxes and if it matches test
the
coordinates themselves.

For parsing the geometry I recommend using Kevin Lindseys path parser.

Andreas

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Sayed Arian Kooshesh" <[EMAIL