Thank you Bruce and Thomas.

Interesting to see that with the transform solution the "staircase" effect went
away in
Opera and Safari.

Your comments help a lot and I will add a note to my tutorial to give other
people who
have the same problem get an idea for a workaround.

I will probably add this option to my shp2svg converter as well. Have to
experiment with it
a bit however.

I still don't understand completely, however, in which cases this effect comes
into
existance. Is this a combination of a large offset in the absolute Moveto and a
very small
change in the relative linetos? Is the viewBox also relevant in this case, or
is this solely a
problem of the relative coordinates?

I ask because most of the time the approach that Bruce initially tried worked
well, but in
rare cases I had similar problems.

Andreas

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM