Thanks for the feedback. Use Display->Set Viewport
function to get part of the displayed map centered if
you get disoriented.  You should have better luck from
there.

Perhaps I made poor decisions setting up the initial
display state.  I wanted the user to be able to see
any map data initially selected for display, which is
why it is at a high scale and Lambert projection.  I
considered having an initial state of something like
North America or Europe displayed.  Perhaps that would
be better.

The map data in the zip file is in the original form
that I found at http://www.evl.uic.edu/pape/data/WDB/.
The original readme file is in the zip file, which
explains the format of the data and the original
source of the data.

Peter

--- Alex Amies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> That is an incredibly valuable tool.  However, I had
> a little trouble
> getting the map to display the way I wanted.  The
> projection was not from
> the angle I expected and I had trouble centering in
> the position I wanted.
> I expect that the functions are all there but I had
> trouble finding them.
>
> Where did you get the world map?
>
> Alex
>
> On 5/10/06, Peter Thompson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I created http://fastsvg.com to provide SVG maps.
> The
> > site has a downloadable tool for generating your
> own
> > SVG maps (you specify continents, projection,
> scale,
> > center point, level of detail, etc.) and a sample
> of
> > SVG maps generated using the tool.
> >
> > The Mercator projection maps have formulas in the
> SVG
> > files that you can use to generate screen X/Y from
> > lat/long.  The Lambert projection maps don't have
> the
> > formulas in the SVG files yet.  In either case,
> the
> > tool has a lat/long to X/Y converter that you can
> use
> > to generate screen points for a specific SVG file
> > (based on projection, center lat/long, screen
> > width/height, and scale -- all of which are
> written
> > into the SVG file).
> >
> > Send me any questions or comments.
> >
> > Peter

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > -or-
> > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/svg-developers
> and click "edit my
> > membership"
> > ----

> >   Xml

> >    on the web.
> >
> >    -  To unsubscribe from this group, send an
> email to:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM