ddailey wrote:

>As an exercise in one of my classes, I've had students use SVG with
>JavaScript to create familiar HTML-like form elements: buttons, radio
>buttons, checkboxes, selects, text inputs, text areas, etc. (or at least to
>see how close then can get to the familiar behavior of those objects.)
>Managing the events associated with mouse activity is a good excercise.
>
>One thing that none of them has had any luck with, and I frankly have no
>suggestions to help, is the <input type="file"> object. Is there anyway to
>allow the user to peruse local drive space and based on the choice of a
>file, modify the contents of a pure SVG document the way one would in HTML?
>
>I was about to declare the problem unsolvable, but thought I'd run it by you
>folks to see if someone has a clever workaround.

It sounds to me like you are looking for a file upload capability.  That
is not native to SVG, although I thought I saw something about attempts
to add it to future SVG specs.

I'm going to have to tackle this problem myself eventually, and what
little research I've done makes me believe a good way to handle this
issue is to put file uploads outside of your SVG document.  That is,
from the javascript inline of your SVG code, call a function in the
parent HTML.

Here is a very interesting article on how to upload files using Ajax,
but it looks to me like it is IE only:

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/AJAXUpload.asp

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM