Hi Alastair,

There are a number of open-source svg editors like inkscape that you can
package into your distribution. Those products are truly "free".

For cheap editors, there is Sketsa for $US49/seat - that's almost free for
enterprises.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Graphics_Editors/Sketsa_SVG_Graphics_Editor.html

Maybe you can convince Kiyut to give you a bulk license deal.
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Authors/Kiyut.html

As for almost everything else, there are some parameters you kind of need to
specify in order to help us solution providers decide whether we want to
provide nearly-free products to an enterprise client.

As you know, even svg developers need to put food on the table.

It might be helpful of you could expand on the following questions that I am
sure every interested party would like to ask:

1) how many seats? By almost free, do you mean 10,000 licenses for $5/license
or 50 licenses for $1000/license? Or do you really mean unlimited licenses
for a few bucks and a pat on the back? if the latter, what kind of pat?
Generally, unlimited-copy wite-label licenses are VERY EXPENSIVE.

2) what is the target OS? or are you thinking of a web app? if so, what
serverside parameters? Enterprise Java grade with Oracle, or php/mysql? any
taboo bits? What version of SVG viewer do you need to support?

3) what sort of final user are you thinking of, and are you *selling* this or
giving it away? If you are giving it away, are you white-labeling it or
giving away a product clearly marked as someone else's?

4) Are you representing an enterprise or a struggling start-up?
Is the final user an enterprise, a government, or an institution?
Will profit be derived by the use of this tool?

5) How does the provider of this "almost free" software recover their cost and
put bread on the table? Advertising at the client side? click-through url on
the product?

6) Are you asking for *unlimited* distribution rights? Is that within the
intended product, and only for that particular distribution, or forever, for
any product sold by your employer?

7) Who gets to do client-requested upgrades? Are those done at commercial
rates?

8) Who pays for bug fixes?

9) Who is "we"?

10) When are you looking for this for?

11) What features are you looking for? "svg editor" is a very big field. are
you looking for a drawing editor for simple primitives to handle static
sprites or for a full-featured editor solution that can handle namespaces,
SMIL, scripting, etc?

Cheers,

Ronan

--