--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, David Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Some time ago I developed the possibly superstitious habit of putting an
> onload=startup(evt) inside my <svg> tag; then having
>
> function startup(evt)
> {
>       SVGDocument=evt.target.ownerDocument
>       SVGRoot = SVGDoc.documentElement;
>
> }

> Is my superstition here based on some historical wisdom, or might I
> just discard it along with other excess cognitive baggage?

One problem is that so far there is no W3C specification defining
something like a global window object with a predefined document
property. There is a movement by now however to try to define stuff as
W3C standards that has been established by browser/user agent
implementations.

But in terms of the history of SVG 1.0 and viewers like Adobe SVG
viewer 2.0 your approach was justified I think. I don't remember for
sure myself but the Adove SVG viewer 3.0 PDF documentation says that
stuff like
  window
  window.document
respective
  document
where not supported before the 3.0 viewer.

Browsers/user agents like Opera or Firefox had those properties all
the time before they even supported SVG so with such viewers you won't
have any problems.