Hi,
I think the adapted way to do this is using XSL technology, you will
need PDF to xml conversion and then xml to SVG (I know : svg is already
xml format!) or any other format.

But One step backward, PDF has been developped by adobe, adobe "was"
engaged in svg (past svg ie plugin...) , I suppose they already can
propose  tools to convert directly PDF to SVG and I suppose it rocks too !.

I found XPAAJ XML/PDF Access Api for java
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/downloads/xpaaj.html

Best Regards
Steph

S.Ancelot