Thank you, that helped.
Final version is this

<object classid="clsid:377B5106-3B4E-4A2D-8520-8767590CAC86"
codebase="http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/svgviewer/win/3.x/3.03/en/SVGView.exe";
data="file:///C:/diagrams.svg" type="image/svg+xml" width="400"
height="400" name="svgmap" id="svgmap" >
        <param name="src" value="diagrams.svg">
        <embed src="diagrams.svg" width="400" height="300"
type="image/svg+xml" id="svgmap" name="svgmap"
pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/"; ></embed>
</object>

which should work in most browsers. Note the embed tag which is
oriented to pre 6th generation browsers.