--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Cameron McCormack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Erik Dahlström:
> > It seemed to work fine in Opera when I modified it locally and
reloaded. I
> > think it may be a problem with the global script variable 'chart'
being
> > initialized too early. Maybe you can try setting the variable
after the
> > document has loaded completely, like in an onload handler?
>
> Ah great, that fixes it.  I wonder why the IDs aren't available at that
> point, though.

It looks like the element itself in the HTML document is found by its
id but somehow the public methods of the Java applet are not exposed
if script looks for the element before the page/applet has been
loaded, even if attempts to call the public methods are done later
when the applet has been loaded. Not sure why that is, seems a quirk
in Opera, at least compared to other browsers.