Hi,

I do not use Batik, but I understand it does not function as a browser
plug-in but rather under Java.

That aside, FireFox/Mozilla has native SVG support including ecmascript.  IE
can use the Adobe plugin.

But, for information, here are some good resources.  You will just have to
dig and read:

http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/      lot's of great stuff to
examine (especially pertinent to GIS)
http://pilat.free.fr/                                         good examples
(in french)
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/SVGAnimations.htm
more good stuff, and links
http://jwatt.org/svg/authoring/
good authoring guidelines
http://alzt.tau.ac.il/~dagan/tools/panZoom.svg
zoom and pan example
http://www.kevlindev.com/
more good stuff
http://wiki.svg.org/Main_Page
incomplete but usable reference

Read until it makes sense, that seems to be the way to go.

Stephen