Erik,

your apt description reminds me of tuning "draggable links"
that is scripting whether the user intends to drag or click.
a problem not as yet resolved afaik

cheers

Jonathan Chetwynd
Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet

On 25 Sep 2007, at 09:27, Erik Dahlström wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 05:17:49 +0200, Jeff Schiller
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> David,
>
> Painter's Model: http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/render.html#PaintersModel
>
> I'm not sure, but I think you missed the key aspect here - think of
> the icons on a "carousel" that we're looking at on a horizontal
> elevation.  This problem has to do with rendering order more than
> highlight and event handlers (though that is another interesting
> topic).
>
> Let's say you have 3 icons on the carousel - as it spins, icon 1
> (which is to the left of center) and icon 3 (which is to the right)
> are behind icon 2 (which is in front and center).  As the carousel
> spins clockwise, icon 3 moves to the center and in front (i.e. "on
> top") of the others, while icon 2 is now to the left of center and
> behind icon 3.
>
> Do you see what I mean by z-order?  Because the rendering order and
> overlapping is defined by the order in which the elements appear in
> the DOM, it seems that you couldn't declaratively do the animation
> (you'd have to have script to rearrange the nodes as the icons rotate
> - probably using two halves of the carousel circle as separate
> rendering groups with nodes being popped and pushed appropriately).

Jeff,
Have you tried a solution that uses <use> elements for keeping the z-
order
the way you want it?

Simple example:
<rect id="a">
    <set attributeName="xlink:href" to="#a" begin="mouseover"
xlink:href="#top"/>
</rect>
<rect id="b">
    <set attributeName="xlink:href" to="#b" begin="mouseover"
xlink:href="#top"/>
</rect>
<rect id="c">
    <set attributeName="xlink:href" to="#c" begin="mouseover"
xlink:href="#top"/>
</rect>
<use id="top" xlink:href="#a"/>

I have been trying to find good solutions to the z-order problem as
well,
moving elements around in the tree and expecting mouse events to
cooperate
is quite hard in my experience. That is, if I want something to move to
front when I mouseover it, the only way I've found reliable is to use
scripting, because the instant I move an element to the top I get
another
mouse event on whatever was under it (because moving it means take it
out
of the tree, then inserting it somewhere else), and that makes the
element
that I wanted to have focus lose it. So, I have to "block events" until
everything is in place.

Cheers
/Erik

--