Hi, Damian,

it sounds like the id attributes of dynamically added
content are not processed properly so referencing them
would not work. Have you also tried it with graphics
containing <use> elements? I guess they wouldn't work
either.

I'm not sure if that really is the source of the problem.
If that's the case you might work around it by using
always the same set of IDs for gradients and then always
keeping the same set of gradient elements. When you
dynamically replace a graphic you could obtain all
gradient elements therein and copy their attributes
and child nodes to your permanent gradient elements.

Regards,

  Frank