--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "~:''
ありがとうã"ざいました。"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I didn't know offiletype, but the results seem very poor.
> do you have some good cases?
>
> with: filetype:svg

Here's a query that gives lots of results:
  filetype:svg  site:wikimedia.org

Showing that it does search for text in a file:
  filetype:svgz stop sign

It has some limitations, AFAICT: it doesn't really ensure the file is
of type SVG (e.g., wikipedia has lots of pages named *.svg, which
actually describe an SVG file); it doesn't find pages that are SVG
that don't have the file suffix .svg (e.g., most of Andreas's fabulous
mapping projects); and it only seems to find pages where the search
text appears in the SVG file itself (not in the page linking to it).

I find it most useful for searching for static SVG images rather than
SVG sites.

> it's difficult to imagine this show a genuine ranking by popularity.
> as the SVG most likely isn't checked for links, google process breaks
> down....

Well, it does appear to factor in pagerank. This page, for instance,
has a pagerank of 3:
http://www.progressivepictures.com/map.svg

> with: site:www.peepo.co.uk filetype:svg
> there are no results, yet the site is only svg
>
> with: site:www.peepo.com filetype:svg
> there are no results, yet the site has many svg
>
> with: filetype:svg peepo
>
> only three results, yet there are more than twenty very similar to
> these, they are all in the same directory and not all appear to be
> indexed.

I took a scan through the pages that are in googles index for these
domains, and don't see many svg files referenced in any hrefs on those
pages. That will probably inhibit google's ability to find them. While
you incorporate .svgs by reference (in img, data, etc attributes), I
don't think google will search those.

Thanks,
  --kirby