--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard
Pearman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yeah so I tryed putting some roll-overs and links into the SVG
version
> of the picture (which now says that the user CAN see SVG files).
The
> links work but the javascript (in the SVG file and the XHTML file)
> doesn't. Is this a problem with object elements? Could I use an
iframe
> instead - I know they work for SVG files but do they substitute
> something else if if the browser can't display SVG?

Hi,
what user agents did you test it in? object tag is problematic with
IE+ASV. That is, script won't work and other problems. embed causes
some Problems with other UAs. Read
http://blog.codedread.com/archives/2006/01/13/inlaying-svg-with-html/
to learn of an elegant way to serve SVG. The idea is to use
Microsoft's
conditional comments to use embed for IE and object for all other
browsers. Makes the code more complicated but it appears to be the
only reasonable way, apart from giving up on MSIE.

But, please, don't use javascript if it's not necessary. Have a look
at my website:
http://frankbruder.fr.ohost.de/index_en.html
There you'll see a table with some image format tests, and I use no
scripting there. With some CSS you can also make it more obtrusive
like

<object type="image/svg+xml" data="test.svg">
height:100%; background-color:#000000; color:#cccccc; font-size:200%;
font-weight:bold; ">
<h1>You don't have SVG support</h1>
Your browser does not support the SVG format. See
for a list of SVG viewers.
</object>

When you use conditional comments to serve the SVG via embed for IE
you can't use alternative content like the above for IE. But at the
embed tag you can set the pluginspage attribute.

Bye,

 Frank