Well, I wouldn't have expected your approach to work because: How
would IE know that the stylesheet processing instruction is to be
handed to ASV? And there doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

I tried placing the stylesheet in an svg:style element inside the
svg:svg element. I thought if this would work then using an external
stylesheet might be possible by using external entities or something
like that. But I didn't even get an internal stylesheet to work.
And to my astonishment, even the use of the style attribute directly
at svg: elements did not work in IE+ASV. So all I can say is that CSS
for inline SVG in IE is even more of a problem than I had expected.

But I'm using IE 6. Maybe some of the problems are resolved in
version 7, although I rather don't think so. But you can give it a
try with internal stylesheet. In case that works, you could try
external entities or XSLT to include an external stylesheet.

Otherwise, maybe there is some way to make IE hand on a processing
instruction to ASV or maybe there is some way to set a stylesheet for
ASV with a param element inside the object node in the head. There is
quite a lot of things which can be done in IE but are not well known.
But I wouldn't know where to start searching for such hacks, if there
really are.

Regarding your question: What are you doing wrong?

My answer would be: You're using the wrong browser.
Your code looks fine. But I'm not sure if it's even possible to make
it work in IE.
If you really need to support IE then I would suggest either to embed
external SVG files by reference or to use XSL. Client side XSLT even
has the advantage that you don't need a browser switch to deliver the
document as text/html for IE, the content type would be application/
xml for any browser.